Your Colorado Personal Injury Attorney

Over 40 Years
Experience Working For You

  • Personal Injury ∙

  • Family Law ∙
  • Mediation

Protecting You.

professional lawyers

Case Attention

We take the time with each and every one of our clients to understand their needs.

Learn More
judge mallet

Family Law

Need help with a Divorce? We have the knowledge to help with your case.

Learn More
approval ribon

You Need

Our combined experience exceeds 40 years. You’ll want us to represent you.

Learn More

International Adoption FAQs (Part 2)

These international adoption FAQs can provide prospective parents with the info they need to expedite the adoption process and avoid unnecessary delays.

These international adoption FAQs can provide prospective parents with the info they need to expedite the adoption process and avoid unnecessary delays.

Picking up from International Adoption FAQs (Part 1), the following provides some additional general information regarding the process associated with adopting children from other countries. By doing some research before delving into this complicated process, you may be able to expedite the adoption process so that you can start spending time with the new addition to your family.

What is a non-Hague adoption?

A non-Hague adoption, also referred to as an orphan adoption, is the process of adopting a child who is legally considered to be an orphan in his or her home country (because his or her parents have passed away, abandoned the child and/or are unable to care for the child). With these types of adoptions, the perspective new parents must have a written release that legally allows the child to emigrate to the U.S. Additionally, in general, the child will have to have been born prior to April 2008 and/or the new parents must have filed a Form I-600A (or I-600) prior to April 2008.

How do I qualify to be able to adopt a child from another country?

Regardless of whether you are considering a Hague or a non-Hague adoption, in order to adopt a child from another country and be considered his or her legal parents in the U.S., you have to:

  • Be an American citizen and reside in the U.S.
  • Be at least 24 years old when you file the Form I-800A and at least 25 years old when you file the Form I-800 (if you are single or unmarried)
  • Have your spouse be on board with the international adoption and, as an indication of his or her consent, have him or her sign the Form I-800A.

Additionally, you will likely have to have a home study conducted by a certified specialist, you will have to go through the standard application process with the USCIS, and you will have to submit additional documentation to the appropriate agencies in the home country of the child you are planning to adopt.

Because this process is inherently complicated and one mistake on paperwork or missed deadline can result in unnecessary delays of the adoption process and/or the adoption being denied altogether, it’s critical that you work with an experienced family law attorney who can help facilitate the process and help you navigate through the complexities of the system.

Colorado Family Law Attorneys

When it comes to battling for child custody or dealing with any matter of family law, such as parental visitation rights, do not try to settle the case without the help of a skilled family lawyer. Working with the Colorado family law attorneys at the Law Office of Mike Hulen can be essential to ensuring that your rights are fully protected and that your family law matters are resolved as favorably as possible.

For years, we have been successful at helping our Clients negotiate favorable divorce settlements, child custody agreements, alimony payments, etc. We also have a proven track record of success when it comes to modifying custody agreements, spousal support payment agreements, etc. Contact us at (303) 932-8666 to learn more about your rights and receive professional advice regarding the best manner in which to proceed with your case.

Comments are closed.